Balochistan: Justice Failing The Countless Disappeared
On 11 July 2012 and further to its previous decisions the Supreme Court in Balochistan demanded details regarding the missing persons and found bodies, as no one knows about the FC´s activities in the regions .
Below is an article published by The Express Tribune:
A three-judge bench of the apex court’s Quetta registry was hearing a petition filed by the Balochistan Bar Association on the law and order situation in the province. During Wednesday’s hearing, a frustrated Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry regretted that none of the court’s directives are being implemented. He pointed out that no one, including the commissioner, deputy commissioner and levies forces, seem to know about the FC’s activities in the province.
During the proceedings, the chief justice asked the former deputy commissioner of Khuzdar if the FC had informed the civil administration about its actions in the Tutak area of Khuzdar, from where 24 people had been allegedly whisked away in 2011.The former DC replied in the negative.
Staying in tune with Tuesday’s hearing, the chief justice asked the FC’s lawyer, Raja Irshad, to present before the court either all the missing persons or all the commandants. In response, Irshad pleaded for more time till Thursday (today) [12 July 2012]. The chief justice then directed Home Secretary Naseebullah Bazai to produce details of all mutilated bodies that have been recovered in Balochistan so far.
Meanwhile, a ‘missing’ person who was recovered Tuesday night recorded his statement before the court on Wednesday. “I had been picked up from my house in Hazar Ganzi,” Mufti Abdul Wahab Riki said, adding that he did not know where he was being kept.
Also during the hearing, one Dr Ghulam Sarwar told the bench that he and his nephew had been kidnapped by FC personnel in Mastung. “My nephew, Zafarullah, is still in the FC’s custody,” he said, adding that he was detained for 13 days.
Chief Justice Chaudhary took the deputy commissioner of Matsung to task, saying that the authorities were not taking any interest in these cases, while the court is doing the job of the district administrator.
He added that the problems being faced by Baloch people could have been resolved had there been a local government system in place. The court also directed the FC to present Zafarullah before the court on Thursday (today).
Meanwhile, Senior Advocate Hadi Shakeel told the bench that after the killing of Nawab Akbar Bugti nobody can enter Dera Bugti. The deputy commissioner of Dera Bugti, however, rejected the claim, saying they could go to Dera Bugti with a security squad.
He was seconded by Home Secretary Bazai, who said he had visited the area himself three times. “If Dera Bugti is an FC-controlled area, then show the orders [for their deployment],” the chief justice said.
Shakeel said that at least 300,000 people from the Bugti tribe have migrated to different areas of the country. The court also ordered removal of landmines in Dera Bugti. Meanwhile, DIG CID Saleem Lehri presented a report of the killing of Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Mohammad Aslam Raisani’s nephew, Mir Akmal Raisani. Lehri said that 83 people have been questioned regarding the case and investigations are ongoing.