February 10, 2012
Mr. Sardar Akhtar Mengal, president of the Balochistan National Party, has thanked the US Congressional hearing on the Balochistan issue for their endorsement of the Baloch people’s right to self-determination, and also for their concern over the human rights situation in Balochistan.
Below is a press release from the Balochistan National Party:
Balochistan National Party’s president Sardar Akhtar Mengal has applauded the US Congressional hearing on the Balochistan issue and the House Subcommittees concerns regarding appalling human rights emergency in Balochistan and endorsing Baloch people right to national self-determination.
Balochistan National Party delegation also attended the hearing and handed over letter of thanks on behalf of people of Balochistan.
Addressing to the Chair and members of the committee, Sardar Mengal wrote that on behalf of my party and the people of Balochistan, let me sincerely thank you and members of the Committee for the timely attention and understanding of human rights situation in Balochistan. Taking notice of the plight of the Baloch people by civilized world is need of the hour as situation for them is grave and serious.
Mr. Mengal further said that the Baloch are living a life at the gunpoint in the shadows of inhuman atrocities and their very survival as a nation is threatened by the distortion of their history, culture and moderate social fabric of Balochistan.
He said that their physical survival is at stack with the systematic and organized acts of genocide.
He said that since the conflict is the direct result of oppression, the only way out is that the products of oppressions are removed, and that is to stop the oppression and the settlement of the dispute through a fair process involving the international community. The Baloch people will welcome any effort from the Government and people of United States and the civilized world for an amicable settlement of the Baloch issue.
He further mentioned that in any conflict resolution process it is imperative to take into consideration the essence of the conflict. The Baloch Pakistan conflict is historical, cultural, economical and political in nature. It is obvious that in any conflict resolution process, the agenda should encompass all those issues.
He said that before initiating a meaningful process of conflict resolution it is imperative that Pakistan should take and practically implement some measures which are must to build a conducive atmosphere for Baloch Pakistan reconciliation process.
1. All covert and overt military operations against the Baloch should immediately be suspended
2. All missing persons should be produced before a court of law
3. All proxy death squads operating under the supervision of Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) and Military Intelligence (MI) should be disbanded
4. Baloch political parties should be allowed to function and resume their political activities without any interference from intelligence agencies
5. Persons responsible for inhuman torture, killing and dumping of dead bodies of the Baloch political leaders and activists should be brought to justice
6. Measures should be taken for the rehabilitation of thousands of displaced Baloch from conflict-stricken areas of Balochistan
The Baloch will welcome any mediation efforts from United States, United Kingdom, European Union and United Nations.